Putting Wastewater and Environmental Designs to the Test
The WEF Student Design Competition promotes real-world design experience for students interested in pursuing education and careers in water and wastewater engineering and science. The competition tasks individuals or teams of students to prepare and present a design that helps solve a water quality issue. Teams evaluate alternative ideas, perform calculations, and recommend solutions in the form of an engineering report and presentation.
The Student Design Competition begins at the Member Association (MA) level. Each MA is encouraged to develop their own Student Design Competition based on a chosen design problem or allow student teams to bring problems they are currently working on.
The winner of an MA competition will be invited to compete at WEFTEC in the coming year. If only one school is willing to participate within the MA, that team may compete at WEFTEC assuming they meet the guidelines.
For full details about the Student Design Competition and how to participate, explore the Design Competition Guidelines (as of 2018)
Whether you are looking to start a Student Design Competition or have been invited to attend the national Student Design Competition at WEFTEC, the resources on this page will help answer many of your questions about the competition.
WEF Student Design Competition Resources:
Design Competition Guidelines (as of 2018)
Design Team Entry Form (as of 2018)
Abstract Submission Form (as of 2018)
Student Design Competition- Historical Information (team and sponsor participation)
Toolkit for Starting a Student Design Competition
Ideas for Attending WEFTEC on the Dime (as of 2017)
The WEF Student Design Competition hosts two different competitions at WEFTEC:
- Wastewater Design: The Wastewater Design Competition is intended to include design projects that traditionally address a challenge within a water resource recovery facility, e.g. hydraulic capacity design, upgrades to existing treatment systems, biosolids handling, etc.
- Environmental Design: The Environmental Design Competition is intended to include design projects that address challenges within the broader water environment, e.g. water reuse, stormwater management, wetland construction, etc.
Both the Wastewater and Environmental Design Competitions follow the same guidelines and scoring system.
There are many benefits to participating in the WEF Student Design Competition. At the competition, participants will have the opportunity to:
- Network with students and industry leaders from across the world
- Gain professional experience and exposure
- Highlight their skills and enthusiasm for the water environment
- Participate in WEFTEC activities tailored to students and young professionals
Congratulations to past winners of the WEF Student Design Competition!
|Year||Wastewater Design||Environmental Design|
|2016||Southern Methodist University||University of Minnesota, Twin Cities|
|2015||Southern Methodist University||North Dakota State University|
|2014||University of South Florida||University of British Columbia|
|2013||University of South Florida||University of British Columbia|
|2012||University of Colorado, Boulder||University of South Florida|
|2011||University of Wyoming||University of Florida|
|2010||Southern Methodist University||University of Florida|
|2009||University of Colorado, Boulder||University of Florida|